Friday, September 5, 2008

I'm It!

Okay, so I got tagged by Jen Romney and will thus finally update my blog. Here are a few updates:


1) To the blogging world:
In case you didn't know I am prego. I'm due Feb. 20th, and I find out in 2 weeks what we're having. Super excited! I can't find my camera at this moment, so I'll post pics as soon as I find it.

2) School started again, and in case you don't know, I teach at American Falls High. On the first day of school I was calling roll and came across the name "Dalton". I saw two hands go up - one near my desk where I was standing, and the other in the far back corner of the room. So I said, "Dalton D.?" It was the kid who was closest to me. Then I got the other Dalton and the other hand went up again. So I said, "There she is!" The class starts chuckling and I ask them what I did. They proceed to tell me that Dalton is a boy. Holy crap! That's an awkward moment! How was I supposed to know? All I could see was long brown hair! So we make a joke out of it and I tell them all how I'm no longer using the personal pronouns "he" and "she". From now on I'm calling everyone "it".


I think the kid has forgiven me and seems very nice to me. I'm just hoping it's not some fake facade and one day he's going to come and stab me when I'm all alone in my classroom. (The picture is not of Dalton by the way, but the hair is very similar.)




3) I am certified to teach chemistry at the secondary level (grades 6-12). As of last the state of Idaho has decided that I am not "highly qualified" to teach physical science, which is basic chemistry and physics. Don't these people have any common sense? If I'm qualified to teach upper-level chemistry shouldn't that also make me qualified to teach an introductory chemistry class? Oh, and I'm supposed to be mentored for a year from the biology teacher who is endorsed in physical science but hasn't taught it in over 20 years. Nice.






4) I do an assignment with my physical science classes at the beginning of the year where they have to investigate a double murder. This double murder however involves Toucan Sam and Pop Krispie. I go on an on about how the murder was on the news and that I've been working with the authorities on possible suspects. They include Captain Crunch, Tony the Tiger, etc. So this is a silly joke, right? Not to some. About 5 minutes into my story of the murder, a blonde freshman girl raises her hand and asks, "So we're not going to have those cereals anymore?" It was such a classic freshman moment!

5) Like Jen I too did a pagent when I was in high school. But mine wasn't really a pagent, it was a "scholarship program"!


And now I tag the person who let everyone know I freak dance - Miles Romney at the City Fathers blog. :)

4 comments:

Jen R. said...

ha ha ha you're so cute. This was a very lovely update! And I love the new layout. In case you don't look back at my comment, when you get tagged it means you do the same thing that person had to do. Sometimes it's a questionaire, etc. So in this case you would say 7 strange things about yourself and then 6 random things and then tag someone. But it's ok this was good too!

Ulrich Family said...

Your picture at the top of your blog is really super cute. Great update. It's been a while since we have seen you guys - maybe tomorrow at the soccer game? Hope to see you there.

NanRomn said...

I love the part when the girl says, "So we're not going to have those cereals anymore?" Funny!

Great layout--I love the picture of you and Miles.

NanRomn said...

I love the part when the girl says, "So we're not going to have those cereals anymore?" Funny!

Great layout--I love the picture of you and Miles.