Wednesday, October 8, 2008

The Best Childhood Toy Ever


Last week I went to an inservice at my school where Dr. Roger Taylor was the presenter. In his presentation he talked about how kids today don't play the way we used to play when we were kids. They don't use their imaginations or any sort of creativity. They sit inside and watch TV or play video games. He then showed a picture of a cardboard box. Oh the memories that came flooding back to all of us that were in the room! This ordinary box was transformed into a speedy car, a drive through restaurant, a dream home, and so many other things.


I remember a certain large box I had as a child that I absolutely loved. I played with it non-stop for weeks. Surely my parents had noticed how much I loved this box. But no! One day without my permission my dad needed a place to put the newborn chicks. And what did he use? My box! It was the best toy I ever lost.


So kids don't need all these fancy toys that light up and make noises. All they need is a box.


And Jen, your pictures on facebook inspired me to write a blog about this. :)

6 comments:

miles said...

We used to make tents out of blankets, sheets, chairs, sofa cushions--whatever we could find. They would be completely dark and fill up entire rooms.

Jen R. said...

I'm so glad we could inspire blogging! We have a home video of me opening a christmas present when I was like 2 years old. I open the box throw the toy and play with the box

Jacob Romney said...

We'd play with big boxes. Once Miles had great fun with a sleeping bag and a trunk and some stairs. It's amazing what entertains you when you're younger.

NanRomn said...

We used to go to the appliance stores and ask for the refrigerator boxes. Then we would go to a grassy hill, and run into the box, sliding all the way down the hill. Great fun!

Floris said...

Hey C.
I remember using blankets as cars and going down the stairs. We would go to the store down those steps:).
David

Sarah said...

While Rachel and I were shopping for your baby shower gifts we brought up this blog and said, maybe we should just get a box. Don't worry though, that's not what we got. We'll get him one when he's a bit older.