Tuesday, June 10, 2008

High School Drama


As the school year drew to a close, I reflected on the many counts of high school drama I saw my students encounter throughout the year. The hook-ups, the break-ups, the cheating, the sports, the girl fights, the boy fights, the homework, the blah blah blah. Oh and we can't forget the tremendous sadness that comes with graduating and or just not seeing all your friends for a whole summer.

Then I was reminded of my own high school experience. I know I went through all that drama (or most of it), but as I look back I can't help but think, "Why couldn't you have just been more mature?" And then I ask that same questions of my students. I know those feelings they are experiencing, but sometimes it's hard to actually sympathize with them and not just laugh hysterically at them. I'm not sure if what I feel is actually coming across clearly, but I hope you get my point. I know that the high school drama is hard, but can't you just get over it and grow up? Hopefully I'll be able to muster up more sympathy when I have teenagers of my own. As for now, however, I'm content with laughing and getting a kick out of my students "pain".

3 comments:

miles said...

I would like to forget about 95% of my high school memories.

NanRomn said...

I don't remember suffering from all the drama that I see Mary's friends going through. Maybe attending a large high school was helpful, there was always another friend or group to hang with. My friends were not exclusive.

Elder James Romney said...

Most of the drama is due to people cheating on one another. I believe in being strait with people, and saying "I don't like you anymore." Then you can move on with your lives.